![]()
Me
Haagen Dazs (: "You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky." — Amelia Earhart
ENTRIES
LINKS
TAGBOARD
EXTRAS
take me to the sky
Thursday, December 06, 2007 my first taste of canoe polo
So this morning went to NUS bright and early and had breakfast there. :D hahahaha. My favourite place because it's so cheap and doesn't burn a hole in my pocket. Then headed to the pool, and wah, this team (not very sure whether it's even considered one) is very different. the training was supposed to start at 9am, and even at 9am, there was me and one other guy there. I was like -.-, wah, the discipline abit the champion. Anyway, so turns out I was the only girl who went for training today which isn't all that bad, cause the guys are not all that strong anyway. :D But all of them were there before so uhm, I was quite blur. So first things the instructor taught me was like how to carry the boat and all that (learnt in 1 star, but this craft is alot lighter than the one used in 1 star, so renee if u can't really carry the 1 star boat i forgot what it's called, it's fine) (:, then had to learn to use the spray deck thing, which is worn like a skirt, but the NUS ones are full of holes, so when u cap (which you have to) water gets into the boat anyway. And then when first get into the boat, it's abit hard and abit hard when you first put on the deck, as in put the deck onto the boat not the deck on yourself. Mr Chua helped me the first time round, and he made me cap and pull my spray deck out, and just come out. Hmm, canoe polo involves alot of capping and being confident in water, so I'm not all that a kiasi person and I already found it abit daunting sometimes when I couldn't get myself back up, so it's really not for those who are not too comfortable with water. So then uh, yeah, then I kayakes/rowed up and down for warm-up, we all had to do that, then we had to dribble. Dribbling is like you throw the ball a certain distance in front of you, you kayak/row, up to it, and then throw and kayak/row and yeah. That's the idea. Then after dribbling, I had to learn how to cap and get myself out, which really is like OMGZ. Okay, so first with the wall, it was easy. It should be easy for an average person with average arm strength and uhm torso/hip/ass (that group of muscles) strength. Then, moved on to using the coach's boat. Which was still managable. Then the paddle. Wah, I think I must have tried it at least 12 times, and only succeeded twice. GRRR. And the thing is this capping thing is important cause the moment you're in possession of the ball, your opponent can cap you, and you must be able to get yourself out. GRRR, so today when I was playing, the whole time i was trying super hard not to cap or let myself get capped cause if i did, I'm dead, and I a) will just pull my whole spray deck out or b) uh, wait for the instructor, but really, I think I'd have just pulled the whole thing out. Okay, so other than my inability to do that, everything else was quite okay, quite intuitive in a sense. throwing was quite alot like lobbing when playing badminton. Then boat skills I guess it just comes with practice. Hmm, we played different different games, but all of it mostly with the objective of improving uh, boat control, ball handling, stuff like that. Like monkey, then like basketball-ish kind of things, yeah. Quite interesting. So, yeah, that's about it, really, it's alot on the torso/hip/ass thing. :D Then I just swam a few laps to end of and then headed home. Waited damn freaking long for the 52 outside ngee ann poly. GRRR. Okay, gotta go now, badminton with lennard. WHEE, feels great that i'm exercising so much. Allows me to eat guilt-freely. :D
A big big thanks to these people (: layout by: hilary header by: sealedcards
tagboard here.
loves whacking shuttles smacking clay drawing random rubbish reading for fun my siblings my friends michael buble HAAGEN DAZS archives October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 |
